Belton resident convicted of 2010 murder


Cynthia Walters, 63, of Belton, was convicted Friday of first degree murder and armed criminal action for the 2010 killing of her ex-husband. The jury came to their conclusion in less than two hours.

According to the probable cause statement, on September 6, 2010, Ms. Walters called 911 and told a Cass County Communications Officer, “I shot my husband.” Walters later stated that the shooting was an accident. The couple first married in 1979, divorced twice, and lived together in 2010 though they were not legally married.

Upon arriving at the scene, a Belton police officer used his public address system to call out Walters, who exited her home through the garage. The officer noticed blood on her mouth and asked her why she had said blood on her face. Walters said that she was giving Mr. Walters CPR and that her husband had blood on him because she shot him.

Walters explained later that day in an interview that she and Mr. Walters had been fighting for a few days. She told Mr. Walters that she needed to go back to work but the victim reportedly called her “stupid” — which angered Ms. Walters. The defendant said that Mr. Walters didn’t want her to get a job because they own a business, Timberlake Care Center, and she had worked there two years prior but collapsed from a sickness, rendering her unemployed.

The probable cause statement continued, stating that Ms. Walters said she went into her bedroom to watch TV when she spotted the gun. She thought if she pointed the gun at her husband and made it click it would scare him. As Mr. Walters sat in his chair not reacting with his eyes closed, Ms. Walters pulled the trigger. She claimed that she did not know that the gun was loaded.

When Ms. Walters saw blood coming from the victim’s mouth, she administered CPR and called 911.

Ms. Walters’ biological daughter told authorities that her mother probably “just lost it” and intentionally shot Mr. Walters. The daughter also said that if the defendant said she didn’t know the gun was loaded that the statement is probably a lie.

All three handguns in the Walters’ home that were discovered by police the next day were loaded.

Mr. Walters died at Overland Park Regional Health Center on September 8, 2010.

Sentencing is scheduled for 1:30 pm on March 10 and Ms. Walters will continued to be held at a $500,000 bond.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s